Re: What does everyone use?

this problem with the ftp-ing has nothing to do with the jpeg/gif thing. Ftp-ing a file doesn't change the format of it any more than emailing it. Really. If it's a jpeg coming out of your image processing program it's gotta stay a jpeg.

If you have a mac at work, try doing it there where the format of the file isn't embedded in the extension, but in the file header instead. The header doesn't lie.

Or email me the file and I'll open it in Photoshop 6 and see what format it comes up in.

And remember, on a PC you have to put the extension in, and it doesn't care of you put in .jpg, or .gif, or .tif. It's just a name and has nothing to do with the actually compression mode of the file. You could call a file filename.jpg and save it as a tif and a PC wouldn't fix that for you. In fact if you named it filenameglorious and saved it without the extension some older versions of Windoze would call it filename.glo and not be any the wiser!

And get on eBay and buy yourself a copy of PS, so you're not working with restricted software. PS 7 for Mac is only in the $365 new ballpark. Surely one can find as good a price for in for PC.

I just bought a 450 MHz G3 with G4 upgrade and 80Gig superdrive for $450 on eBay. You'd be surprised what you can do there, if you do it carefully and thoughtfully. That was the best I could afford and I'm much happier to have it, partly because I'm not forced to use OSX yet. I still have the choice.

Took about two weeks to get the entire transaction done, starting with 5 days of watching eBay prices to see what $450 would buy, and ending with installing the internal modem and moving all my files from the old Mac.

And Shawna, you really don't want to mess around with second rate scanning, especially if you're committed to film. There's simply no substitute for the very finest possible scan and that always comes from directly scanning the film.

So save up for a film scanner first!

There's really no connection between computer peripherals and your cameras. A Canon printer has nothing whatsoever to do with a Pentax camera, or a Nikon camera or a Canon camera. The deal with the camera is that whichever platform you start on is pretty much where you're going to stay until you get very wealthy and can afford to switch, or until you learn how to sell stuff on eBay and start over.

Go over to eBay and watch for a while. Just bookmark something you search for and go check the items as they sell - say search for "Photoshop 7 PC" and save the result as a bookmark, or favorite, and go back every day for a week or so and see what the prices are that the stuff really ends up at. then you'll have an idea of how much money you need to save up, or how much is too much to bid.

Especially watch the final 20 minutes of the bidding on the product. That's when the dogfights happen and when you want to be most cautious about going over your top price. The folks with the broadband or cable connections have the advantage, but the guy fighting with me over the Arca-Swiss vanished after it hit his high price and I only had to put out $5 more, and that was $20 under my top price and $50 less than B&H's, which is pretty much rock bottom for new in retail.

Your photography and concepts are original and very interesting. Head for the best, now.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@cape.com