Re: my new photo site

At 10:29 AM 11/3/2003 -0600, Rev. Sidney Flack wrote:

I couldn't disagree more. If her images need Flash to make them their best then her images are not as good as they appear to be...

Good presentation makes a difference no matter what the type of presentation. I get a completely different response to my portfolio, nicely matted and sealed in poly bags and in a Century box, than I did when I took loose prints in a box that held Kodak paper. The prints aren't any different (except they are digital now) but the reaction is.

The same is true of presentation on the web. A really good presentation changes the impact the images have on the audience. It doesn't make them better or worse, but it changes the way in which the viewer sees them. This isn't just true of art - think about eating a nice dinner while rats and cockroaches run across the floor and then think about eating the same dinner in a nice restaurant. Presentation has a huge impact on perception, no matter what the venue.

That doesn't excuse some of the goofy Flash-based sites or things like a splash page that has no purpose, but there are plenty of goofy non-Flash sites too. Good Flash sites are often allow a more effective presentation than just html.

Jeff Spirer Photos: http://www.spirer.com One People: http://www.onepeople.com/ Surfaces and Marks: http://www.withoutgrass.com