Re: top posting

I prefer top posting and my company practically demands it. Nobody wants to
wade through a bunch of reference crap to find out what the hell you're
saying. Say it right up front. We'll zip on down to the references if we
need to. After all, it's what your saying that folks are responding to. In
fact, this has been the model in all other modes of correspondence since the
dawn of writing with sharp sticks on clay tablets! When's the last time you
received any other mode of correspondence, professional or otherwise wherein
the reference material was up front? Almost never! If you get a letter with
attachments, even a previous letter upon which the reply is based, where are
the attachments? In back! This is the way these posts should be too.
Frankly, I don't want to scroll down past a bunch of reference crap just to
see if what you have to say is worth responding to. Yes, I'm aware that
there are a bunch of "Net Nannies" out there purporting to be the arbiters
of all things net. They're just a bunch of geeks with no life other than to
try to shame other folks into doing what they say as though it's the only
proper way. I've been screwing with this media since it was ARPANET and have
heard these whiners too. I don't listen to them and neither should you.

The plain truth is that this is the way many of us post, not only here but
on other forums as well. In fact, top posting is the norm on most lists (as
in almost all other media). I, for one, have never had a problem following
threads (both long and short) supported solely by top posters. I am able to
do it with only my modest intelligence, so I'm sure you can also, if you put
your mind to it. If you stop trying to control things you can't control,
namely other people, and accept folks for who they are, you may find more
serenity. Trying to control other folks is always a loosing proposition. For
the most part, when all is said and done, they will simply ignore you or
perhaps rebel in some manner and this will only irk and frustrate you. Then
you'll find yourself resorting to all sorts of ineffectual control methods,
such as shaming the poor object of your ire. The only thing you can control
is yourself, so sit back, relax and listen to "Get Over It" - Eagles.

Regards,
Bob...

From: "Emily L. Ferguson" <elf@cape.com>