Re: question regarding assignment

Well, there's another consideration. If you took these photos in your role as employee, then undoubtedly you signed an employment contract which ceeded all your rights in your work to your employer - at least that's the usual way if you're a salaried and benefitted employee. So you probably need to determine whether the right to license the usage actually belongs to you.

Then, if Corbis has what they need, you can't compete on price. Corbis is lowballing every day and will take any piddling pay to get the deal. And if they have it Royalty Free, it's even more hopeless. People have been getting payment for thumbnail and quarter page usage from Corbis of as low as $7.00 lately.

Finally, how big are they running these pix? You said there were three of them? There's a print run of 20,000? Did I get that right? This is advertising? (it's not editorial, that's for sure). This is like a 3-fold 8.5x11 brochure? Or are we talking something glossy, in 4 color?

If this is advertising, 4 color glossy brochure and the pix are running thumbnail size I'd say a couple hundred each would be appropriate, for this print run only. Bigger than that, cover placement, back cover placement - prices should go up from there.

If it's a 3-fold, xeroxed flyer, $250 for all three might be appropriate but with a print run of 20,000 it's no xeroxed flyer.

Maybe Bobbert has a copy of Fotoquote and could give you a precise number.

But first you need to determine whether the pix are yours to license.

And remember, a picture is actually worth at least 1000 words! And the right picture is worth lots more!
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@cape.com