Re: Gallery X

Hi, Rich.  I've already sent some comments your way,
so forgive me if I'm repeating myself

I like some of these snaps a lot.  Some--Pepsi
machine, trailer and fence, flag house, turkey
buzzard--can stand on their own.  They're interesting
to look at and imply a narrative.  Others--bikes, car
for sale, bus on road--work as part of a series.

The photos seem to have been made somewhere up north,
but feels to me as though you've got a Southern thing
going--they put me in mind of Eggleston and
Christenberry, both of whom blur the distinction
between documentary and fine art photography,
Christenberry by conscious design.

The series looks as though it will document the
variety of ways that the colors of the flag permeate
the American imagination in obvious and less obvious,
ironic and less ironic ways.  The fact that you've got
at least one Canadian image in the group does lessen
the impact, since those colors, like ours, derive from
the Union Jack, but carry a very different cultural
meaning--there being no Canadian analogue to the
currently quite intense American nationalism.

My only suggestion is to keep going.  I suspect that
the more pics that you present (on the web or in a
book), the greater the impact will be.

Best, John

=====
J. Mason