Re: Random thoughts . . .

Marilyn's Mail <marilyn@rglobal.net> wrote/replied to:

>It's a sad week that goes by with only a couple of reviews."
>
>------------------------------------
>
>Random thought:   Isn't critiquing of the photographs enough, or must the
>reviews be critiqued, also?  Fewer critiques of the reviews may lead to more
>reviews.

Have you actually seen any critques of reviews? I have made some
general comments only. And I have praised those who review.

>reviews
>>pointing out less than glowing appreciation."
>
>---------------------------------------
>
>Random thought:    Fear may not be the key emotion here.   Some can't help
>but see the good and positive in things just as some can't help but see the
>bad and negative.   God bless those who do see the good - we need more of
>them.

Do we? Does a glowing review of a crappy photo do anything positive? I
think not. This is a learning experience, not a feel-good session.
Hey, group hug, ok :-)

>my own honest reviews too."

>Random thought:  Define "honest."  Are the only criteria for an honest
>review criticism or negativity?

I'll define honest for you in case you forgot. It means simply the
truth as I see it. Good where I see it, no so good where I see it.

>-------------------------------------

>----------------------------
>
>Trying to be unusual for the sake of being unusual can also lead to the
>ridiculous.

Sure it could. Sometimes.

>---------------------------------

>to write more reviews."
>
>----------------------------------
>
>Random thought:  Then be more accepting of the reviews.  Why would someone
>take the time to write a review knowing they will be told their time has
>been wasted because they wrote a  review, that in other's opinions, may be
>less than honest?

This is the point. The reason I bother writing anything about reviews
is to get more, to inspire reviewing. Has  anyone been told they
wasted their time reviewing?

>There is always a long line waiting to tell us what we did wrong and where
>we failed.   There needs to be at least a line of one waiting to tell us
>what we did right.

Agreed, that is of course if something was done right.

Glad to have stirred the pot again...

Jim Davis
Nature Photography
http://www.kjsl.com/~jbdavis/