looky here, new thread, Gallery Review 2003-5-15

> Shyrell Melara - "Never More"
> http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/melara.html

Big backlit tree, right in the centre, mostly trunk, a tire swing
hardly noticed unless you squint really hard, or read the comments.

I think this photo might have a very nice aura about the light
streaming past that grand old trunk. There's a lovely green, with
yellow fringing, some of my favorite light.

But unfortunately, it's so damned small, it's hard to tell...
This is a thumbnail, right?

> Jeff McSweeney - "BedSprings"
> http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/mcsweeney.html

Well, (big long pause, thinking) this is interesting. What I like best
on first glance, is the 'breaking the rules' positioning of the
subject at the bottom right, with plenty of negative space up top.

On second thought though, negative space needs a real reason to exist
I always feel. Put your hand of the top half of this photo, and it
appears to be an 'Old Masters' type of work, in a panoramic format.

What appears to be accentuated, due to lack of a face, is the less
than flattering female body shape and pose. This photo definitely has
a certain tension.

> Dan Mitchell - "Horses"
> http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/mitchell.html

Again, too small.

The title is Horses, but I feel it would have been better without
them. Maybe call it 'Little Blackbird'.

Crop and blow up the bottom left, leaving the horses in the top right,
and it could be a decent photo.

> Elisha Page -
> http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/page.html

A portrait class? Bad student, bad!

Seriously, it looks like a fun photo. Those silly students, sheesh!

> Gregory david Stempel - "Fog in Ollala"
> http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/stempel.html

I love bridge shots too, one day I'll share some. The boulder bottom
left. It bothers me, clone it out. This type of photo needs clean
lines and needs to appear light and floating.
I like the mood and colour and tone of this shot.

Overall, well captured.

> Bob Talbot - "Crab Spider"
> http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/talbot.html

Wow, those eyes look like little plastic eyes from a robot toy stuck
into onto that, soft fleshy greenish thing.

Interesting technical description too, Bob. I always wished Canon made
an EOS bellows.

Nicely composed legs, background, and eyes in centre. It's Macro Art!

> Antonio J. Cid - "Taberna"
> http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/cid.html

This would be a great shot if the right side had some flash fill.

As it is, it's a good one anyway. Looks like vignetting bottom left,
perhaps you could have turned your flash to the right a bit and used a
diffuser?

Overall, great capture. There is a nice feeling of a happy, local bar
here. I want to sit down and have a cold one and talk to these
characters.

> Jim Davis - "unusual duo"
> http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/davis.html

There exists a series of these birds, some solo shots, some together.
Look for them in an upcoming series I have submitted. Bird photo
haters need not bother... no, what am I saying, look, look!

> Elson T. Elizaga - "Lifeform"
> http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/elizaga.html

Good use of lighting, bringing up contrast while keeping some light
into the interior of this, thing.

I wouldn't call it a 'pretty' picture, but it's well composed with
interesting shapes.

> Rand Flory - "Spring at the Never Inn"
> http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/flory.html

I don't like the dark shapes in the background. If you're going to
blow out the background by shallow DOF and selective focus, try and
get some nice tones and colours in the background.

You also might try and angle it so that the stem fades out of focus.
This would really bring up the subject.

> Tom Fors - "Sarah, 4 Years Old"
> http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/fors.html

I'd like to see a bit more separation of the child's face and the
background.

Very nice expression on the child though, and I love the muted colours
and softness.

> Sonny Labay - "koh samui mornings"
> http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/labay.html

Vignetting, hey crop it out, or clone it out!

I think this photos works pretty well, but it would have been better
to move back, give the subject a bit more space. You could have popped
a bit of flash into the dark shadows of the poles too.

And the horizon IS tilted badly.

I think you should have gone for maximum depth of field and put
everything in focus. This type of scenic beach shot needs that.

Thanks for submitting your photos. Thanks to all reviewers.

Folks, just because a couple of people have reviewed doesn't put you
off the hook. Just because you don't feel you're qualified is no
excuse. All contributors want to hear what you think of their photo,
and they want to hear how you think it could have been better, or what
was good about it. That way they can keep these things in mind, go
out, shoot some more, and hopefully come back with photos that are
better. At the very least we get some idea of just what the heck other
people with diverse thoughts and ideas about photography think about
their work.

Take a few mintutes, review the gallery.

Jim Davis
Nature Photography
http://www.kjsl.com/~jbdavis/