Re: looky here, new thread, Gallery Review 2003-5-15

Jim Davis wrote:
> Elson T. Elizaga - "Lifeform"
> http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/elizaga.html

Good use of lighting, bringing up contrast while keeping some light
into the interior of this, thing.

I wouldn't call it a 'pretty' picture, but it's well composed with
interesting shapes.

Thanks for the review, Jim. I'll take the "not pretty" part as a compliment.

Occasionally, I make pretty pictures. But in recent years, I've come to apply the concept of literary conflict to my photography. Conflict implies the presence of opposites. Like the positive and negative poles of magnetism and electricity, these opposites, when placed nearby, create tension.

The subject of my photo is a plant. But, when viewed from a certain angle and distance, it looks like a strange animal, or a mixed of both. This ambiguity creates tension. Some people are taken aback by the photo.

I don't know if this approach is acceptable to some nature photographers. I understand some prefer to photograph the pretty part of nature. I'd like to know their style as well, and why they persist in this approach.

Elson
--
Nazca Graphic Design & Photography
http://cdo.weblinq.com/~nazca/