Re: Random thoughts . . .

Maralyn presented us with some very valid thoughts:

<<<
Random thought:   Isn't critiquing of the photographs enough, or must the
reviews be critiqued, also?  Fewer critiques of the reviews may lead to more
reviews.

Short answer: yes.   "Garbage Talk" as Andy terms it flaming someone is hardly likely to encourage new reviewers.
That said, personally my skin's thick enough to actually enjoy having my review reviewed - heck, at least it means somebody read it ;o)

<<<
Random thought:    Fear may not be the key emotion here.   Some can't help
but see the good and positive in things just as some can't help but see the
bad and negative.

Indeed (?) For me that's hard to understand.  Certainly me old Gran used to insist "if you can't find something nice to say don't say anything".  But for someone to genuinely LOVE all the images week after week.  OK, maybe they can (without being dishonest) but ...

<<<
Random thought:  Define "honest."  Are the only criteria for an honest
review criticism or negativity?

Mmmm ... it comes over that way ;o)
There is for sure honest and blunt. There is also cruel.
But when an image has a glaring flaw:
eg 1 a sloping horizon which was clearly not there for artistic reasons for instance
eg 2 a portrait where the subject is out of focus but background sharp.

What value a review which skips the problems and dwells only on the beautiful saturation ?

I remember judges in the club who have ruined the night for everyone.  Thier lavish praise of clearly (to everyone present) superior images devalued by similarly lavish praise of comparative rubbish.  Sometimes "you must be cruel to be kind".  The best deliver the medicine with sugar for sure ... but don't shirk mentioning the patently obvious ...

<<<
Trying to be unusual for the sake of being unusual can also lead to the
ridiculous.

Exactly so:  just about sums up teenagers ;o)

<<<
There is always a long line waiting to tell us what we did wrong and where
we failed.   There needs to be at least a line of one waiting to tell us
what we did right.

That is true in all areas of human activity.
In a restaurant with all the best service, comfortable tables, immaculately dressed and polite waiters, soothing live music, fresh flowers and candles on every table, complimentary aperitives and wine ... I still complain if they forget to cook the chicken ;o)

<<<
Scampering Back Into the Safety of My Closet,

Aw shucks Marilyn:  I used to like your reviews - it meant I could be brutal in mine without feeling so bad ;o)

Bob

Join Freeserve http://www.freeserve.com/time/

Winner of the 2003 Internet Service Providers' Association awards for Best Unmetered ISP and Best Consumer Application.