Re: Gallery comments 10/05/2003

While I monitor all the Photoforums postings and photo exhibits, I do not comment on the latter unless one captures my emotions and mind.
Many of the exhibits tend to be mundane and even trite, but occasionally some are stimulating and engaging. I probably refrain from expressing an opinion to avoid the flaming that often follows such comment.
JG
----
at 09:00 AM 5/14/2003 +0900, Jim Davis wrote:
Bob Talbot <snapper@st-abbs.fsnet.co.uk> wrote/replied to:

><<That's it. Thanks for letting me be cruel to your images :-) I feel I
>learn a lot from this - hope it's useful for you as well.>>
>

>Thomas
>
>Thanks for taking the time to comment.
>
>An author can learn something just by knowing whether someone likes thier image or not.
>A critic can learn a lot by trying to explain why they like it or not.
>
>Bob

These reviews make it worth submitting more and more. It's a sad week
that goes by with only a couple of reviews.

Not every photos is magic to everyone who views. I've seen exhibitions
by some very famous and respected photographers that just turned me
cold. Then again, sometimes the entire gallery is the same way. So why
do we not feel like reviewing on those weeks when the gallery turns us
cold? Is everyone afraid to hurt someone's feelings and write reviews
pointing out less than glowing appreciation.

I have appealed before for honest reviewing here, made my own honest
reviews too. I'd love sometimes to comment on the reviewer's comments.
Not on my own photos, so much as some obviously sugar-coated review of
a nothing photo that should have had it's flaws pointed out. 'Like,
man how could you love that photo, it's crap!' :-)

What I find interesting though, is the common thoughts that define
what makes a photo truly great, perhaps it has common beauty or
elements that make is special. What we each define beauty as has
common themes, and individual themes too. Being one's own worst critic
can be bad. It's a rare day when I take an image that 'I' feel is just
amazing.

The unusual seems to be a necessary element sometimes. Combinations of
these elements help produce a winner. Elements giving depth, pleasing
colours, texture, shape, random patterns, recognizable objects, all
these and more are required. Or sometimes just one good one:-)

As I'm sure many other here do, I rarely submit my best photos to the
gallery, but those that I'm curious about people's reactions to. The
private email I've received about some of these photos is nice too.
But I'd much rather that more people take a few minutes to write more
reviews.

Jim Davis
Nature Photography
http://www.kjsl.com/~jbdavis/