Re: Negatives, Enlargement???

Dan C <leicaman@sympatico.ca> wrote/replied to:

>On the other hand, a negative made from a photo would not be expected to
>give you the same degree of "enlargability", in fact, I doubt that you can
>enlarge much beyond the size of the print from which the negative was made.
>
>dan c.

It will depend on the quality of the copy negative.
Using a proper copy camera and setup one can get copy negs that will
enlarge quite well. Quality will depend on the quality of the print of
course. The copy neg will always be inferior but again can yield
pleasing enlargements.

 Many old black and whites were either contact prints or low
magnification prints from large negative so that quite a bit of detail
can be retained in a copy neg.

I must say though that a 35mm copy negative should not even be
considered. I would go for a 4 by 5 copy negative. In fact I used to
do this in a lab with Nikkor copy lenses on a huge copy camera and
sometimes using 8 by 10 copy negs. I have made murals from copy negs
of 16 by 20 originals that looked incredible. These were in colour too
which is more difficult to copy. It can be done, but getting it done
today it might be difficult to find someone with the right equipment
and know how to do it.

Jim Davis
Nature Photography
http://www.kjsl.com/~jbdavis/