Negatives, Enlargement???

Hi!

I joined this list last week.

I have a question about enlarging photos (via a photo shop, NOT via scanning,
etc. myself).

With a print itself, I have seen that you can really only enlarge it up to
200% (total) before it becomes an unattractive photo.

I have seen that via a negative, one can enlarge it at great deal more.

With a negative, how much larger could I make it (limit)?

With an old photo, from which I no longer have the negative, if I were to
have a negative made, will that new negative be equally usable (as usuable as
an "original" negative)?  By "usable," I mean ... will the new, larger print
be as clear as one from an "original" negative?  Will the limit in terms of
enlargement also be the same?

Please excuse my grammer if I add or lose words ... a few years ago I was
conked in the head with a sailboat ... and had to learn how to read and write
all over again.  Long story.

Thanks for any help, in advance.  And also, thank you for those who gave me
info on how to un-roll long prints (c. 1925).

Betty G.
Middleboro, MA