Re: Negatives, Enlargement???

It all depends on the resolution of the scan. If you take a print the size of a negative and scan it at 2700ppi you should be able to do the same enlargment that scanning a neg at that resolution would permit.

the hitch is that most flatbed scanners don't scan at anything like that resolution, in fact nearly uniformly they use interpolation to achieve their advertised maximum.

So starting with the film and a very good quality scanner is the better solution.

Now on the other end, for printing from the scan, the more info you have from the scan the less junky the print will look, but there are a whole bunch of facters which can "smooth" things over. For instance, I have a middling 35mm film scanner. My printer is happy to print any file that's 250 dpi at full print size and bigger than 250 ppi. However, when I use a glossy paper (like to make the pic look like a photograph) things aren't as nice as when I use an more absorbent paper (matte finish) which takes the little spots of ink and sort of absorbs them a bit and smooths out the edges of things. And when I take that same file to Wal*Mart and have it printed out as an RC print you can really see the difference between the 250 and the 300 dpi.

Then there's what happens when you try to make the print 300 dpi at much bigger than the original file. Photoshop has to invent pixels and makes some obviously not very good decisions. There are a number of choices then. One of them is highly disdained by pros and probably cheerfully used by lots of amateurs. It's called Genuine Fractals. It invents pixels better than Photoshop and the designer of GF, who lives two miles from my house, will cheerfully assure you that it invents pixels so well that noone can tell. But the pros still insist they can tell. I've never used it.

But I can tell you, when I scan an image at film size x 720 ppi and try to print it on glossy paper at 8x12 without interpolating, it's ghastly. When I trot it down to WHOI and they scan it at 2700 ppi and print it on their lovely big machine without interpolating, it's beautiful.

So the moral of the story is get the best big scan you need for what you want to print.