Re: Thoughts on the PF members' exhibits 03-01-03

Jeff Spirer - Warning Signs at Mitla
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/spirer.html
The ominous yellow pervading the setting and hovering above the lined-up pillars feels ever so slightly like a filter to me. If it is, the conceit is rather too strong, or perhaps obvious, for my taste. I'm uncomfortable also with the curve in the wall at the far end of the pillars. I would prefer to be on the left side of the pillars.

On the other hand, I can imagine that sky fortelling an imminent volcanic eruption and the conjunction of pillars and curved wall representing the lack of escape.

Either way the feeling, for me, is unconvincingly deliberate.

Morley Roberts - Female  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/mroberts.html
effective lighting but the balance in the pose is so tenuous that the expression on the face contradicts what my body says she should be feeling. But very nice sculpting of the curves, all the same. Perhaps, in line with the general softness of the edges all around, that hot spot over the left shoulder could have been tamed slightly as well as the spill on the ribcage and breast.

Roger Eichhorn - Hills in Late Afternoon
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/eichhorn.html

the golden rolling hills of California - at that brief moment when they're not quite golden. I think I would have cropped out as much of the sky as possible and taken all but a medium line of the brown stripe across the foreground out as well - a sort of panoramic view of those famous hills. Interesting how the ploughed field can look like a highway railing under superficial scrutiny. I'm bothered also by the hair and other dust in the sky.

Pablo Coronel - End of the road
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/coronel.html

There must be a point of maximum stasis, a point of balance between objects, that conveys rest. I'll be art theorists are full of didactic declarations about just how to arrange objects so that all sense of movement between them is obviated. Here there are two piles of tires, intercepted by a chain link fence. The fence and rear set of tires are not sharp and probably 85% of the image is consumed by the front set of dead tires. Intellectually I know that tires in this condition have reached the end of the road until they're retreaded.

But the relationship between the elements in the image is not at rest/in balance, so I seek some other title, or would try to rework the situation to achieve that feeling of rest.

Per Ofverbeck - Copenhagen, October
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/ofverbeck.html

Whew. Smack in the middle is this building with its name emblazoned down its facade. There is a great likelihood that Copenhagn is far more diverse than that architecturally rather uninspired hotel Even in monochrome it's possible to show something ugly and make it forgivable.

Rob Miracle - Glove Save  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/miracle.html
Rob does it again, front light or no, black puck or no. Do you guys know how fast those damn little round blobs travel?!!!

Was this shot 6 of the 6fps on your digital, Rob? And just how young are your eyes, man? Panning and zooming at the same time, hey?

David Small - Art in strange places
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/small.html
All kinds of interesting art there. What are those white stripes in one of the windows, the one on the right? Fluorescent light bulbs? Interesting how they coordinate with the swirls of the whitewash on the doors and windows. And the art between? Yes, indeed, all kinds of art in strange places.

Doug Seibert - Oh Columbia  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/seibert.html
Grab shots at open houses like this are just fine for what they are. No point trying to critique something shot under these circumstances because there is so little that the photographer can do deliberately - angle of view is proscribed by all the other people and being in the right place at the right time, and composition is proscribed by the lens and light, etc. My feeling is that you got something worth looking at under difficult circumstances. Congrats.

Peeter Vissak - Nature slightly mort
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/vissak.html
Jeez. Those Phals don't look mort to me. I suppose they're going to be mort, perhaps more speedily because they not attached to their plant, but they look pretty nice and healthy. Now pushing the whites so far doesn't necessarily make for mort either, but certainly it does make for an interesting study in using light and shadow to define shape. It's balance that's most unsettling to me here. There's a slight claustrophobia at the top for my taste. I think I might have cut off some of the left edge of the vase and left more of the stem going off the right edge to give the top Phal a bit of headroom. So much white space to the left of the vase makes me feel like the whole thing is going to fall over to the right!

Marilyn Dalrymple - But is it Art?
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/dalrymple.html
Oh yeah! Great! I do appreciate this sort of serendipitous "art", although the folks at the grocery store no doubt regret not getting those carriages in before they closed for the night. I'm thinking, however, that I would have preferred some white or black space between the two shots, so that the two tones of sky don't grate so against each other. Or perhaps there would have been a lot of fun in pulling the cars out and superimposing the two sculptures, or some such fun and games. Great thing to do on a rainy afternoon.....

Dan Mitchell - West Walton  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/mitchell.html
Well, sure. OK. That's the problem with shooting from there - too much road in the foreground. I wonder whether it might have been more interesting moving the point of view over to the left, getting a car in the road or some people crossing the street, seeing the facades of the row of houses behind that big tree, the texture in the stone wall beyond the transport shelter...... Maybe a sunstar through the windows of the church tower.... or through the branches of the tree in the foreground.....

Thanks guys for all the work.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
elf@cape.com 508-563-6822