Re: Thoughts on the PF members' exhibits 03-01-03

No bragging. I don't live there. If I did, I might! It's the rainy period in California and the hills are green. Come back in July and they'll be as brown as the hills in Wyoming in winter.

The foreground is a vineyard harrowed for replanting. I cut off the bottom of the photo as there was a broad expanse of plowed ground. The buildings on the horizon are part of the farm. There's a tiny red light, barely visible, toward the back of the field. I don't know what it was. Apart from the cropping, I played with the green color and the sky a bit to try to get the colors as vivid as they were to the eye. Photos I took of an adjacent farm showed a vineyard in dormancy. I thought it looked a bit busy so I chose this one instead.

The photo I scanned came from one-hour development (Walgreen's) and I didn't think they represented the actual scene. I guess it's time to invest in a proper film scanner. The photo was taken at about 4:30 pm, so the sun was low in the sky behind me. I think I happened on a day when there was no haze to contend with. It may not always be that way.

Rand, thanks for the comments.

Roger

Roger Eichhorn - Hills in Late Afternoon
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/eichhorn.html

I love the green and the brown, and even the sky a bit, but it seems so blah
compared to the other elements. Overall I like the image, although not as
much as Sprier's work. There is pleasant beauty here, but no drama.

The mid-ground objects add some interest to the photograph, but I can't make
out exactly what they are, other than something man-made. The confusion here
leaves me just slightly disturbed.

And then there is the accompanying text to consider. First, it seems as is
Eichhorn is bragging, as this is a photograph shot in February of this year,
and in Wyoming, I won't know the meaning of the term "green" for another
couple of months. L But the text is where I am most disturbed about the
image. Eichhorn says, "Somewhat altered with Photoshop Elements. 2.0." The
best part of this photograph is the color. So is it false color? What was
altered? I would have preferred not knowing about the presence of
alteration, as I then want to know just what was done. The forum is a
photography forum, not a journalism forum, so I guess I expect some
alteration. And that is not necessarily inappropriate. But to simply whet
the appetite with teasers, but not satisfy the palate with the whole story
leaves an incomplete feeling.

--
 R. Eichhorn