Thoughts on the PF members' exhibits 03-01-03

Forumists;

Here are my thoughts about the PhotoForum member's gallery now on display at
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html:

Jeff Spirer - Warning Signs at Mitla
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/spirer.html

This is my favorite of the week, even though I wouldn’t have recognized this
as a Spirer photograph. I like this image a lot. The color, the lighting and
the physical composition of the pillars combine to produce a photograph
depicting the term “power.” The emphasis on sky, and not just any sky, but a
foreboding mass of light and dark, is what gives this image its
significance.

Then there is the title. Spirer’s title created enough curiosity to cause me
to Google the word, “Mitla.” For more background information, I looked at
http://www.sacredsites.com/1st30/sanctuar.html and found Mitla to be as
fascinating as Spirer’s depiction.

Ya done good, Spirer.

Morley Roberts – Female  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/mroberts.html

Hey, Roberts certainly nailed the image on the head with his title. That is
a photograph of a female all right. And it is a pretty good one at that. The
human body can, when well lit, cast an almost endless variety of interesting
shadows. Roberts was able to capture most of those shadows without losing
texture completely except for the female’s right arm and hair, both of which
sink into a blackness that slightly take away from the quality of the image.

The lack of hair surrounding female’s head bothers me. It suggests a melting
into ambiguity and generic female form. But the face itself is so well lit
as to not allow that anonymity. The face instead cries out, “I am an
individual.” This dichotomy of messages is slightly disturbing.

Roger Eichhorn - Hills in Late Afternoon
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/eichhorn.html

I love the green and the brown, and even the sky a bit, but it seems so blah
compared to the other elements. Overall I like the image, although not as
much as Sprier’s work. There is pleasant beauty here, but no drama.

The mid-ground objects add some interest to the photograph, but I can’t make
out exactly what they are, other than something man-made. The confusion here
leaves me just slightly disturbed.

And then there is the accompanying text to consider. First, it seems as is
Eichhorn is bragging, as this is a photograph shot in February of this year,
and in Wyoming, I won’t know the meaning of the term “green” for another
couple of months. L But the text is where I am most disturbed about the
image. Eichhorn says, “Somewhat altered with Photoshop Elements. 2.0.” The
best part of this photograph is the color. So is it false color? What was
altered? I would have preferred not knowing about the presence of
alteration, as I then want to know just what was done. The forum is a
photography forum, not a journalism forum, so I guess I expect some
alteration. And that is not necessarily inappropriate. But to simply whet
the appetite with teasers, but not satisfy the palate with the whole story
leaves an incomplete feeling.

Pablo Coronel - End of the road
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/coronel.html

Tires. Dead tires. Dead tires in an interesting, but not fascinating
arrangement. A photographically washed out wire fence between two stacks of
tires that detracts from the image because it is indistinct, but present.
This image tried, but didn’t quite do it for me.

Per Ofverbeck - Copenhagen, October
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/ofverbeck.html

Here is Hotel Astoria in the rain with someone with an umbrella walking
across the street towards its front door. There must be some significance
here that I am missing.

Rob Miracle - Glove Save  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/miracle.html

This is a GREAT sports shot! Even with the dark glove, the save is fully
evident. The goalie is watching the puck and is in full control of the
situation. Miracle, you are ready for SI.

David Small - Art in strange places
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/small.html

Street photography is never my cup of tea, but I find this photograph
strangely interesting. Maybe I am learning (but I doubt it). The man, the
art, and the location all combine to provide an interesting slice of life
while creating mystery about how he could have picked this spot to evidently
peddle his wares. Was the building empty? Is this the man’s normal spot, or
did he just move into this spot to avoid rain? It is the unanswered
questions that make this photograph work for me.

Doug Seibert - Oh Columbia  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/seibert.html

This was a technically difficult, but very well executed shot. Again,
however, the text works against image, at least for me. Seibert states, “The
shear size is overwhelming.” That is not evident in the photo. There are
people in the background, but not next to the Columbia herself, and so I
cannot appreciate one of the primary items that Seibert felt when he saw the
shuttle.

Still, I appreciate being able to view this scene.

Peeter Vissak - Nature slightly mort
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/vissak.html

This was almost my favorite for the week, but the flower tends to blend in
too much with the background. Maybe this was intentional in the “mort”
theme: from nothingness, again to nothingness. But then the highlights of
the vase should not blend into the same nothingness. It is the solid
reference to non-living stability. The vase needs to continue, to be solid,
as a counter-point to the fragility of life.

But a good image overall.

Emily L. Ferguson - Mattapoisett harbor ice
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/ferguson.html

Ferguson personifies “cold.” The bleak of the blues help to show this. The
ice (?) is not identifiable, except in description, which adds significantly
to the image only after you know what you are looking at. This is a good
photojournalism piece.

Marilyn Dalrymple - But is it Art?
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/dalrymple.html

Nope, it is not art -- at least as I define the term in my own mind. But I
appreciate seeing this image for what it is. I wish I could have seen it in
real life. Thanks for presenting this in the forum.

Dan Mitchell - West Walton  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery/mitchell.html

It’s Mitchell’s village in winter. It looks like an interesting place, but
the photograph does not help me get excited. I know there is a church in
town. There are some other buildings. And there is snow: white snow covering
the countryside, and dirty snow on the roads. It is just like my town, and
your town, unless you live in California as depicted in Eichhorn’s
photograph.

Thanks for the contributions this week. I appreciate having the opportunity
to view these images from all over the world. It helps put the differences
and yet the sameness of humanity into a better perspective. Thanks also to
Andy and his staff who put the forum together.

peace,

rand