Re: Gallery review 12-28-02

Dave,

Thanks for your comments concerning my PhotoForum submission. As one who
submits pictures, you probably already know that some kind of acknowledgment
that your photo was seen means a lot.

So what about "Mens Lub"?

One reason I don't like street photography is that you have to look at the
photograph in a different context than what I am used to doing. I finally
(in the last couple of weeks) realized that when I "review" a photo on the
PhotoForum, it is simply an expression of how I feel about the image rather
than any true critique of the photograph itself. And that represents a
pretty superficial analysis.

So I looked a bit harder at "Mens Lub" this week. When I first looked at it,
I didn't feel moved in any particular direction. But the more I looked, the
more I liked. At first, the Lub. Okay, I've seen pictures of places like
that in a lot of movies. But then the Man. And the doors.

Totally opposite the sex book inside the plain brown wrapper, the doors show
a plain-doored place festooned in glitzy messages of sex. This contrast
between outside and inside, as well as the opposite of the "plain brown
wrapper" message, seems to cry out terms such as "sleaze" and "dirty old
men."

Then there is the Man. This man now represents the Lub, but not only this
place, but all such places. You have positioned him in such a way that we
are looking now at the man in universal terms. This is an older man, wearing
cheater glasses, in shorts, with a smirk on his face. Man Who Owns a Lub is
a guy who seems to have no interest in what is in the place itself. His
interest is only in bringing in members to his place. This is the story that
I read into this, and I like it.

You have done well.

peace,

rand