Re: Gallery review 12-28-02

Rand,

>>>) realized that when I "review" a photo on the
PhotoForum, it is simply an expression of how I feel about the image rather
than any true critique of the photograph itself. And that represents a
pretty superficial analysis.<<<<

I would beg to differ. Your feelings about an image are exactly what it's
all about. You look at an image and get a sense about it's essence and in
that sense will determine the success of that image. An educator may pick
apart the image based on technicalities but not everyone sees images in that
context. And, it certainly is not the only way to judge the success of an
image.

Secondly, many of times, a photographer will shoot an image that technically
is not accurate. It was shot for the mood, or for an intimate play of color,
design or interpretation and at that point the image departs from rules of
the road and enters the realm of spirit and mind.

Read Photo Impressionism and the Subjective Image by Freeman Patterson and
Andre' Gallant.

Take care,
Gregory david Stempel
FIREFRAMEi m a g i n g