Re: New Photography Magazine Wants YOU

At 11:10 AM -0500 12/9/02, Brian Blankenship wrote:
Rob Miracle,
Currently our circulation in 0 (zero) and the magazine itself will be freely published on the web, in fact the only form of income 125@f/8 will have is the monthly photo contest entry fees. Also I did state that our payments for a submission were negotiable. Thank you for the EP link, I'll put it to good use. Its certainly not that I am not willing to support the photographers that "use" us, in fact our main reason for publishing 125@f/8 is to support photographers. Our photo contests are intended to allow a 1st ($100), 2nd ($50) and, 3rd ($25) place winners as well as 10 honorable mentions to be published in the magazine which will be marketed to mainly to anyone who might need a photo/photographer. My goal is by these entrants submitting their to get paying jobs from being seen (hopefully) world wide.
Brian, this is really complicated. Please, before you invest any more of your time in this, check out the webzine apogeephoto, the photo.net web site, the editorial photographer's discussion forum, PhotoPro discussion list and subscribe to Photo District News. Also consider getting accepted into the Stockphoto list. You really need to hear the way the world looks to professional photographers before you sink much more effort into this.

The reality is that getting paying jobs from web sites starts with hundreds of pieces of professional looking promotion to a well developed mailing list. The web site, whether it's your own or someone else's, is the tiniest part of getting work. The majority of it is in making contacts through previous work and self-promotion.

As for photo contests, they're all over the web. Dozens of them.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
elf@cape.com 508-563-6822