Re: review November 9th gallery

At 11:31 PM +0000 11/10/02, Bob Talbot wrote:
>  > Bob Talbot - Birth and Death
>>  ... Why does the image feel like it's foggy?
>
>Emily, this is all YOUR fault. ;o)
>You complained at my BM shot that I lost detail in the sky (which was
>a choice to do justice to the scene inside).

Hm.  I'd prefer "comment" to "complain".  Sorry if I sound like I'm
complaining.  I may have inherited the trait from my family.

>On this shot I had everything from the bright light outside the window
>to the blackest black of the velvet bow tie in shadow to contend with.
>I tried to get detail in all areas (as there is on the neg) but
>failed:  that's my comment about "what is black?" The suit was black
>but not as black as the velvet and it had reflected light too. In
>trying to capture it all I think it lost something.

Burn and dodge.  Especially, if the window actually was within range
in the original neg, dodge the window down.  But I'll bet it wasn't
within the range of the film ;-)  Try tweaking the curve, too.

No question that side light or any light from a very bright window is
really difficult for film.  Someday "they" will create a medium that
doesn't have that problem, but I'm willing to bet it won't be film.
--
Emily L. Ferguson
elf@cape.com  508-563-6822