Re: PF Galleries on Nov. 4, 2002

> Ahh. Well I confess I thought the worst of you; was sure that was
muscle
> tissue.
:o)

> Well, that's a favourite theme - that totally different
> organisms come up with similar solutions to basic structural
problems.
Fortunately evolution occured before copyright had been heard of.
Sorry wasp - you can't be black and yellow because the bee got there
first.

> Yes, a few hours on the web and you realise just how much stuff
there is
> out there; a few hundreds of hours later you realise just how much
of it
> is junk, but then you remember that subtracting a Simply Enormous
number
> >from a larger Simply Enormous number leaves a whole worldful of
gems.
My strategy (wheat from chaff) is to find a good site and follow links
from that.
If the author knows what he is talking about, chances are they will
link to equally good stuff.

The web has given everyone the right to put whatever they like on
line.  It's not like old fashioned books which tended to be written by
experts, peer reviewed and reviewed by people with an understanding of
the subject.

But there is some really really good stuff out there - much of it for
free (for now)
There is also a lot of stuff that used to be free that now asks a
subscription --- the future beckons ...

Want to know about how to use matrix algebra for solve problems in
geometrical optics ...
http://www.bama.ua.edu/~ddesmet/id/
Being 20-y old it gets a few things wrong: or should I say, it's not
been dumbed down yet!!!

Bob