Re: Gallery Impressions for 15 October 2002

as seen at
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

> Dan Mitchell (Cockerel) -

Just a wee mass of raging feathered testosterone there, eh? The lighting
doesn't seem to indicate that he is announcing the dawn nor bring
anything measurable to the story. the darkness of the upper right hand
corner seems to speak of a perimeter or border of some kind. Perhaps the
edge of a body of water? Or simply the dark side? The lone feather a
messenger of recent violence. Our little feathered friend appears
victorious. Has he driven the intruder into the darkness with a sore
featherhole to show? Or did someone/thing remove his feather? Perhaps he
is simply raging against the ravages of old age which has begun to
manifest itself in his own male pattern baldness.
The light, although not in the least bit romantic, DOES manage to
describe the texture of the animal well and the shadow defines the beak
well. The shadow off the head of the wee beast flows like the exhaust
off a diesel transport.

> Bob Talbot (The B.M.) -

Holy crap. I am so happy to see this image. I thought I was going to
have to review an image of a bowel movement. Or, is this fellow on his
way to the crapper? The placement (visually) of this character is key to
the success of this image. Hard to believe it was serendipity. So
perfectly placed between the squares. But why is he playing a harmonica?
Or is he lighting a cig? Where is he going? Why is he dressed entirely
in black? Perhaps he is an out of work jazz musician. Why won't he stop
way down there and peer over the edge in depressed contemplation of
ending his life here? That would be much better than this image of some
guy playing a harmonica on the way to the crapper. Just imagine
splattering yourself all over this pure, pristine example of cold hard
elegance in stone and line. Where are we anyway? Are we so short of
space that we have to build our new round buildings inside the
courtyards of those old square ones? If we are going to make a
greenhouse out of it than why aren't there any plants? I'll bet the
government had something to do with this.

> John Edwin Mason -

OK, here he is... So he was a bass player. Hangs out all night in dark
jazz clubs wearing berets and wishing he was a black upright bass
player. Get rid of the funky watch and get some dark shades, brother.
Cat on the sax is layin' it down! You're starin at some photographer.
Lock down on the drummer. Or get that harmonica out.
This looks like a real print to me. Feels like selenium toner. Also
feels like a 55mm micro nikkor. Very sharp but I never liked the look of
them when they were out of focus. Is that called bokay? It looks like a
rich print. the sax mans shirt serves perfectly as a reflector to fill
in the shadows on his face in what would actually be very contrasty
lighting. The most interesting thing here for me is how succinctly the
presence of an upright can define the genre of music. Or perhaps it was
the beret.

> jIMMY Harris (More Fish Stories) -

If I project anthropomorphic qualities onto the birds I come up with
lots of funny stories. None of which are probably true. Other than that
it is a somewhat interesting composition but there is no feeling to the
lighting and no reference to place. (other than choppy seas)

> Marilyn Dalrymple (Hey! What's goin' on back there?) -

Skinny little cat with a cast on his leg? Someone gave him an Ace
bandage to play with? The question that begs answering here is. "How on
earth do you keep your white plastic lawn chairs so clean?" I can't find
anything that does such a good job. Please tell me what you are using.

> Emily L. Ferguson (Nobska at dawn) -

I've heard of this thing you speak of, Dawn? Reminds me of a song. "Is
that all there is? Cause if that's all there is my friends, then let's
keep dancing!" (Or in this case, sleeping.)
Must admit to taking a fancy to the Doric palm tree on the left hand
side. I gather that you didn't take this from a moving car.

> Alan P. Hayes (Downpour) -

I find this image a bit disconcerting. Firstly, the windshield doesn't
seem to have the proper rake to it to be a standard passenger car but
you don't have the height to be in a truck. Secondly, there are no
remnants of wiper activity. Thirdly you seem to be neither in the
drivers seat nor the passengers seat but squarely in the middle of the lane.
This puts you sitting on the gearshift of a VW microbus with your camera
on the dash with the engine turned off to prevent shake for the long
exposure required to get the extreme depth of field.
Well, I guess everyone needs a hobby. Hope you didn't get rear ended. Or
maybe you hope you did... don't really know you that well.

> Greg Fraser (Downpour a.k.a Plums) -

I wouldn't eat that one if I were you.
Worst photograph you have ever taken by the way. None of your usual
elegance and sophistication. Just a plum with genital warts as far as I
can tell. You should encourage your plums to use condoms. Of course if
they are shriveled up already, well, it's too late isn't it?

> Peeter Vissak (Forkload) -

Man! That guy needs a hair cut! You know what? Next time, take a shot of
the guy in this same dreamy light/landscape but have him holding up a
flaming forkload. That would be cool.

> Andrew Fildes (Sven) -

If I heard a knock at the door, peered through the peephole and saw
this? I wouldn't answer the door.

> Christopher Strevens, LRPS (Putting on the agony) -

You saw a
"Beggar at Tooting Broadway, London."
     But not just any beggar, this one had breasts, eh?
"Comment: Digital."
     Meaning you knew you had the shot before you finished? It was much
more exciting when we had to develop our film before we could see if we
got a nice breasty shot or not, wasn't it?
"There are still lots of beggars in London despite the social policies
of our present government."
     Perhaps higher taxes would help this unfortunate situation?
"She probably gets welfare as well."
     Probably. Leather vests don't come cheap these days, do they?
"I paid her a pound Stirling (1 GBP) to take the photo.
     Beats higher taxes. Skip the middle man. (Stirling?)
"She didn't want her face to show..
     Go figure! What if she didn't want her breast to show? Would you
still have paid a pound sterling? There may be a job for her yet. Would
she ever consider modeling for the local camera clubs? And how much did
those people pay her to feed their child while they continued shopping?
Is there no dignity left? What is this world coming to?
This image initially felt like an invasion of privacy and an example of
predatory lechery. I am beginning to see it as one of your finer "Images
of Nature". The fact that she wanted to hide her face yet still accepted
cash still feels a bit exploitive but the quality of her and her sons
clothing lead me to believe that her situation is of recent and that she
might be simply embarrassed. That, in some odd way, leads me to believe
that she feels her current situation to be temporary. And that gives me hope.

> Richard Cooper

The dynamic range of these little cameras is remarkable isn't it? The
color renditions are interesting, too. I don't find much of value in
what you have chosen to show me other than technical matters and the
impression that the river flowing before us would be none too inviting.
It could also be the curse of being the last picture in the gallery.
Insomniac reviewer gone limp.

Thanks to all for your efforts.