Gallery Impressions for 15 October 2002

Having been forewarned of the generally boring nature of this week's gallery images, I considered writing my reviews in poetic verse. However, having taken a first look at the images, I find that I there are too many things I like about these images to review them that lightly so prepare to stop reading or be bored even further.

Dan Mitchell (Cockerel) - I really don't know if its the beautiful plumage (although its no Norwegian Blue Parrot) or the stance but I'm drawn to the self assured nature and extravagant dress. There may be more background than I would include though.

Bob Talbot (The B.M.) - This is a reflection is it not? That must be you in the image. Too perfectly placed to be a snapshot of a passer-by. As you enter the image from the bottom you are drawn along the walkway. Variations of repeated geometric shapes surround you as actual shapes, reflections and shadows merging themselves into a coherent design that is broken only by the mysterious silhouette figure. Excellent, classic use of design principals. Could be done B&W but you'd lose the green light from the square walkway lights which I really like.

John Edwin Mason (Frank Morgan, Charlottesville, Virginia, 4 October 2002) - Wow John you've got the knack for catching the soul of the performer. Do you fire off eleven rolls of film per concert to get these shots or are you just that good? The black space to the right of Frank throws this off balance for me though. The placement of Frank by himself would be fine but his accompaniment makes the image too heavy on the left for me.

jIMMY Harris (More Fish Stories) - Now this shot is really playing with me. I liked last week's cormorant's better but there's something about the circular pattern formed by the birds that I find interesting. Perhaps its the variation of the repeated bird shape with the one dissenter that is interesting. What's that one bird's problem? You assume he telling a story but I believe that bird to be a female with an attitude and none of the other birds know what the hell she's talking about.

Marilyn Dalrymple (Hey! What's goin' on back there?) - Shame about that furry toy not living up to its purpose and yet being in the shot. This is an unusual cat portrait and makes me want to take a whole series of portraits of the backs of people's heads. I like the way the shape of the cat and specially its right hind leg mimics the curve of the chair arm. I imagine this cat with blue eyes.

Emily L. Ferguson (Nobska at dawn) - Yes, it is kind of a dull sunrise shot. The thing I like best is the color banding in the sky like the color has been limited to 256 colors. Perhaps its just memories of the good old days of the 8086 and DOS.

Alan P. Hayes (Downpour) - So is there a non-rainy season in Michigan? This is my favorite of the rainy road shots that I've seen in the gallery and we owe it all to those headlights inadequately lighting the way of their weary driver. The large rain spots on the windshield are nicely spaced and of just the right density blurring just enough for the intended effect. I haven't driven in rain like that for years but the thrill of finding that magical hydroplane speed all comes back when I look at this shot.

Greg Fraser (Downpour a.k.a Plums) - I like the narrow dof in this image and the way it accents the fungus sash so proudly sported by the queen of the tree with her loyal citizens flanking her. The whole scene blends quickly into indistinguishable shapes creating a fantasy environment to the image. Life in the fast lane. By the way does anybody know if prunes are allowed to shrivel up on the tree or are the plums first picked?

Peeter Vissak (Forkload) - Another shirtless Estonian farm worker shoveling fuel onto a fire. This one doesn't have the drama of the last one that showed the person much closer and I believe standing on a wagon. The large clump of forest on the right seems to demand more importance than the person perhaps due to its size and the way it blends into the foreground. I would really like to see more of the fire. There seems to be some interesting colors in there.

Andrew Fildes (Sven) - I love the effect of the distortion in this portrait. The entire shot curves around the right hand lens frame of his glasses. This is a great portrait with the subject perfectly placed. I imagine even a slight variation of camera angle would have a very dramatic change of effect with this lens. I really like this shot.

Christopher Strevens, LRPS (Putting on the agony) - The woman's and the child's clothing don't instill a sense of agony but perhaps I'm missing something. I do like the angled lines of the bricks and the structure behind the woman and the woman herself and the way they all tend to frame the child.

Richard Cooper (Additional Details: Sony DSC F707, Rochester, New York 9-02) - The angle of the fence and the crooked horizon aren't really working for me. Besides no shot of Rochester is complete without a shot of the most important part of Rochester which would be either RIT, Kodak or the Genesee brewery depending on which side of the river you live. By the way if you see my old navy friend Vinny Cosentino, tell him I said he still owes me the $433 I loaned him to replace that woman's prosthetic arm when she slapped him so hard the belt snapped and it flew into the river.

Thanks to all who contributed to the gallery this week and remember - 90% of what makes an image boring is result of what's in, or not in, the mind of the observer.

Greg Fraser
http://users.imag.net/~lon2251/Gallery