Re: Gallery Impressions for 15 October 2002

Greg

Thanks for the review (as always).
> Having been forewarned of the generally boring nature of this week's
gallery images

"For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"

I note a change, a small difference, in the style of your review this
week.
In general two types of review are (IMO) the easiest
1) to say what is wrong - usually the technical flaws leap out
2) to say only nice things - you don't have to justify yourself

The half-way approach is much harder.

> I considered writing my reviews in poetic verse.
Phew!!!

> Bob Talbot (The B.M.) - This is a reflection is it not?
No, it's just a grab shot.
The man was partial serendipity.  I was framing the camera for a
straight architectural record and it just looked empty.  This chap
walked by and suddenly the viewfinder had for me what it had lacked.
I wish I had the time for another frame but this was it ...

>Too perfectly placed to be a snapshot of a passer-by.
Well, the background was already framed: it was just waiting as he
walked till he reached here ...

>Could be done B&W but you'd lose the green light ...
I've considered that.  Maybe I'm "coloured" by the original slide and
it's blue from the sky.
I think Emily commented on the sky being blown out:  there is detail
in everypart of the image (sky and shadows) on the slide but I found
it tricky to compress the tonal range into a mere 255 levels.  When I
did it started to look flat so yes, I show it with the sky brighter
than I would have liked.

I have scans done straight and, like this one, with the analogue gain
turned up.  Maybe if I try to print it I'll work harder on curves - if
only PhotoShop could cope with 16-bit per channel images  ;o(

> jIMMY Harris (More Fish Stories) - Now this shot is really playing
with me. I liked last week's cormorant's better but there's something
about the circular pattern formed by the birds that I find
interesting. Perhaps its the variation of the repeated bird shape with
the one dissenter that is interesting. What's that one bird's problem?
You assume he telling a story but I believe that bird to be a female
with an attitude and none of the other birds know what the hell she's
talking about.

Jimmy's picture demonstrates the "series effect":  this picture does
not stand alone but is influenced by the impression created by the
previous week's entry.
"The whole  is greater than the sum of the parts"  A third image along
similare lines (monochrome, grainy, group of birds) would make a
coherent panel.

> Andrew Fildes (Sven) - I love the effect of the distortion in this
portrait. The entire shot curves around the right hand lens frame of
his glasses. This is a great portrait with the subject perfectly
placed. I imagine even a slight variation of camera angle would have a
very dramatic change of effect with this lens. I really like this
shot.
Yes, indeed I did too ... but I also see how someone else would not
like it.  I suspect it will appeal more to "photographers" than normal
sane people.

> Thanks to all who contributed to the gallery this week and
remember - 90% of what makes an image boring is result of what's in,
or not in, the mind of the observer.
It can be a whole host of things ... bad day at work, rain, or indeed
what else the observer has read about the image.  I still try to
review "clean" but it is not always possible ... this week I read
comments on one image under a subject line I wasn't avoiding.

But I also wonder what can make a group of pictures booring when the
individual shots are fine?  Some weeks the variety of shots somehow
comes together to make a great gallery - yet when I open them
individually for review they are no better.   Another thread I guess

Bob