Re: file formats

Rob Miracle <rwm@photo-miracles.com> writes:

> At 01:05 PM 10/15/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> >I've seen sufficiently many reports of people seeing improvements in
> >Epson inkjet output at ppi values up to 720 that I don't consider 240
> >to be optimum.  It's more like "minimum professional level" or
> >something -- despite the fact that I've passed off 150 ppi Epson
> >prints to professionals on occasion (it all depends on the subject, as
> >usual).
>
> If you print 720 dpi, you will only get 1 pixel vertically since most
> of these printers only print 720 dpi vertically.   So each pixel will
> be represented by a grid thats 2 x 1 on a 1270, or 4 x 1 dot grid for
> the 1280 (2880 x 720).  For the Epson 2200, at 2800 x 1440, your dot
> grid is 4 x 2.   It can't lay down enough color combinations to dither
> the apparent continuous tones needed to make it look like a photo.
> What most likely happens is that if you print a 720 DPI image to the
> Epson print driver, it probably resamples the image so that it will
> have enough ink dots per inch to print each pixel.

I'm sure the driver doesn't use the ppi of the image I send for
anything at all.  But I think it looks at the amount of data it has,
and uses the data in complex ways, and I don't find it unbelievable
that people see marginal improvements with additional data above 240
ppi.  The driver is *already* doing very complex playing with the
image -- mapping a pixel to a fixed region on the paper is *not* what
goes on in Epson drivers.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net  /  http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net