Re: file formats

"Emily L. Ferguson" <elf@cape.com> writes:

> There's always some loss in JPEG compression.  If you have a choice
> it's always best to capture in RAW or Tiff format, but I don't have a
> digital so I don't really know anything about it except that with the
> pro digitals it's possible to choose and that most newspaper shooters
> are capturing in RAW mode.

True.

> Once you get the image into photoshop ...

Once you get the image into Photoshop, you enter a world of fantastic
nonsense, of mythical "inches", and ethereal paper that doesn't exist.

> Now, for the gallery your optimal size is nearly always 72 dpi

No. For the gallery the optimal size is a size. A size, of an image, is
a number of pixels by a number of pixels. Around 300 x 500 to 400 x 600.

> So there's never any point in sending a file to the gallery any
> bigger than 96 at the most.

Nonsense. All the images I send to the gallery have pixels which are 1
parsec by 1 parsec. My images are sized on the scale of our galaxy, and
yet no-one has ever complained they can't view them properly, because
the image size is appropriate for the screen.

> like happened this cycle.  So you need to size your image around
> 4"x6" at 96 or 72 dpi so we can all see it and comment on it.

No you don't. You need to follow the guidelines, which I believe have
been brought into the rational world, and say something similar to what
I said above about pixel sizes.

> And
> you need to re-jpeg the file your going to submit so that it's tiny
> and transmits quickly through the phone lines of the internet.

Yes, that you do.

Sorry, but this "inch" gibberish gets up my nose.

Brian Chandler
geo://Sano.Japan.Planet_3
Jigsaw puzzles from Japan at:
http://imaginatorium.org/shop/