Re: file formats

Rob Miracle <rwm@photo-miracles.com> writes:

An excellent and highly informative article, about which I want to
quibble with one little detail:

> Ink Jets and such, like the Epson family have an optimum setting.   It
> may vary by maker, but for the most part its 240 dpi for the Epson
> family.     The ink jets print one large dot by using several smaller
> dots of ink.   On older printers that print at 720 dpi, each pixel is
> represented by 9 printer dots (a 3x3 grid) visually blending the three
> colors those printers typically represent.    As the printer
> technology improved,  you went to a 1440 x 720 print head which prints
> a 6x3 grid of dots (many of these were 6 color printers) and finally
> 2880 x 1440 which gives you a 12x6 dot grid to represent each color.

I've seen sufficiently many reports of people seeing improvements in
Epson inkjet output at ppi values up to 720 that I don't consider 240
to be optimum.  It's more like "minimum professional level" or
something -- despite the fact that I've passed off 150 ppi Epson
prints to professionals on occasion (it all depends on the subject, as
usual).

As I say, a small detail.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net  /  http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/