Re: URGENT - Help with 300TL flash and Elan IIE

Charles,

I can't tell you whether your equipment is going to work or not but I
might suggest that you take another tack to solve your problem.

Use your on camera flash to capture the machines at work. You will
probably need the stopping power of the strobe if the machines are
moving quickly. You could test the output of the flash by taking a
picture of a flash meter set to non-cord or you could bracket like mad.
The machines will likely be ugly enough not to suffer from the on camera
flash too much.

For the people shots why not use tungsten film? It is very likely that
the factory will be lit with flourescents. If you can shade the people a
bit from the flourescents and re-light them with a quartz or even
incandescent light, they will achieve a suitable color balance while the
background will take on a very pleasant blue cast. The juxtaposition of
the warm light on the subject and the coolness of the background can be
very attractive.

Use your fastest lenses as tungsten film tends to be quite slow. You may
have to actually ask the people to pose as a still life to get sharp
images but it is much nicer to look at than on camera flash. Tell your
clients that thin DOF is all the rage.

Later, as you get more equipment you can filter your strobes to tungsten
and use this technique to its fullest advantage.

For your light sources, use inexpensive work lights from a hardware
store. Be sure to get them off the lens axis and use the light to sculp
the subjects. You can bounce them off walls or foamcore or through
diffusion to get different qualities of light.

I shot an entire annual report using this method once while my equipment
took it's own holiday to a different destination.

good luck,