Qkano's Quickie Quibbles (aka Gallery Review 2002-09-21)

OK, shamed meeself and the extra week's grace from Andy has given us
room.

Some comments - mostly critical but then that's the nature of quibbles

> The PhotoForum member's gallery/exhibit space was updated SEP-14-02.
Authors
> with work now on display at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html
include:

:

              Bruce Harrison -
Nice pattern picture but not quite a great one.
Red bit - show more of it or none
White bit at base - crop it away.

It is a nice image all the same though ...

              Emily L. Ferguson - Reciprocity Failure
On this one Emily and I will have to agree to differ.  The blue is IMO
(and confirmed by several references) not the characteristic colour
shift for Velvia under reciprocity.  That should be predominantly
green.  IMO the biggest contibutors to the blue cast are
1) the light source (clouds) actually were blue (spectroscopically
speaking) 45-min before sunrise they are illuminated from above by
clear sky.
2) Underexposure: YMMV but if metering this scene and wanting the
lighthouse to be white with a TTL meter I would have been dialling in
+ 2 stops compensation.

The image - as it stand is fantastic.   I like the way the coldness of
the blue fights the warmth of the light from the tower ...

              Rob Miracle - Umph
Until I looked at thier ball I assumed this was rubgy and wondered why
the woman was tackiling the chap.
Timing was great - clarity is even better.
These shots are NOT easy.   The very very few ones that really make it
are shots in a million.
What a way to try and earn a living ...

              jIMMY Harris - Brown-eyed Susan
"but I think She's Pretty! (No black background.) "
The presentation of this and the above comment explains what it is I
dislike.  It's not that the background is white, but that the
feathering (blur-zone) is clearly tailing to black then WHITE.  This
could be corrected with a lot of work.  But as it is it spoils
everything about the image for me.  I almost wish the background was
black.

              Dan Reeves -
Atmospheric shot of flowers, like the approach.  Sadly seems to lack
critical sharpness where it matters (the right-hand flower facing us).
Nice design - but worked better as a thumbnail for me.

              Bob Talbot - Largs
By way of explanation:  as with all my people shots this was not
staged - it just happened and I grabbed it.
The shat was taken between dives (scuba) on the island of Cumbrae
across the Clyde from largs.
The reason for the chap floating and the WOMAN with the towel round
her head were the same thing - the MIDGES.  The little bastards were
everywhere and biting every exposed inch of flesh.

I don't think it is a great shot but I have not thrown it away.  For
me there is a strangeness in the interaction between the two
characters.  It as if there should be a story when in truth there is
none.

Oh, it's a good dive site.  There is a submerged catalina flying boat
at 20 metres down in clear water.

              Alan P. Hayes - Blue Car Bronx Morning Heading West
A few (3?) years ago we had a discussion on whether an image could
work with nothing sharp.  This one does:  its lovely.  Actually, I
suspect if we saw the scene steady and sharp it would be crap.  This
treatement really heaps on an atmosphere without losing it to everyday
detail.

As this is entilted "quibbles" ... OK, a minor crop from the base
would lift it for me -  make the sidewalk-wall interface hit the
bottom right corner and you would lose that distracting curve bottom
left ...

              dragon d'Phreque - daydream believer
Good monochrome bit but I'm afraid
1) too much the cliche
2) badly executed.
The masking appears clumsy at even web-display scales.  The lad's ears
are angular.
It's harder to fake an image than take on and this needs a lot meor
work to really work for me.

The boy's face and eyes are great - it just seems the digital input
has harmed the image not enhanced it.
PS ... is Phreque another spelling for freak?

              Doug Seibert - The Eagle has landed
Lucky bastard - even if it wasn't luck.
What is the white diagonal line in the sky btw?

Wish this was my shot.
Someone (Dave D-B???) posted an image of the launch 4, 5, 6? years ago
here.
 No. nothing more to say.  If ever I travel that way I'll have to go
to witness one of these launches.

              D.L. Shipman -
Good shot of the moon - very good.
Careful with unsharp mask around the periphery though - maybe use a
fine history brush to undo it.
No, good image at about the best phase for revealing surface detail.
Full moos lose info (no shadows on the craters.

Is it upside down?

              Dan Mitchell - Seaside Cottage
For anyone who does not know your part of the world this is a truly
accurate record.  For me it needs lifting a little - Velvia style
saturation.
Did you use a polariser?
I feel I want the net a bit crisper - tripod?

Nice picture.

              Richard Cooper - A Moment
The thumnail-title promised a lot.  The image fell flat for me though.
Why?
Mainly
a) The lad's face was in too deep shadow and I felt we were to
see/share his "moment"
b) The background across the water looks more in focus than the
boy-flag-boat.  Selective focus would have lifted this.