Re: Comments on 22 June 2002 Gallery

Hi all,

I'd like to thank all the reviewers of this week's gallery, even if only at
the last minute; four reviewers for a summer week that is great !!

I took the picture of that flower for a friend who likes flowers and
gardening and was interested by that unusual petals of these iris. You know
how it is when amateur photographers are strolling along with folks or
friends : they are always impatiently waiting for you to come and you
unmistakably finish with the feeling you have only taken hasty pictures,
this was one of these cases, but I liked the repeated diagonal lines formed
by the petals of the flowers. Greg seems to have caught that when he says
the picture reminds him to the stained glass window of a church.

Concerning the camera used, that was an error of the staff women. I have not
indicated any camera and as Chandler pointed out : it was not taken with a
rangefinder, but instead using the 28-105 Canon zoom lens which also offers
a macro position; I like this lens and the way it blurs things at large
apertures (is that what is called bokeh ?); until now I've rather been using
rangefinders and the ability to get easily blurred backgrounds is new for me
and interesting to explore. However, somehow, I've the feeling that most of
the time it does just make for easy pictures and I'm not sure whether it is
a good idea to use it too frequently : I'd be glad to hear more about how
others members of the PF list feels about that possibility and whether they
use it much or not ? Isn't that just like another PS filter and a "more is
less" situation ?

Concerning the dead flower half appearing under the main flower.. Well I
wondered whether to take it away or not too, but I kind of like the
imperfection of life; however I agree that in this case it may be just a
distracting element and not something well thought off.

Thank again to all the reviewers !  and a special thank to BobT : it's nice
to read your thoughtful reviews again, we have all missed them.

Chritiane