Re: Reverse process paper negatives (was Re: Gallery Impressions)

Guy:
> This is a very interesting idea, Karl.
> Have you done that yourself or anyone else on the list?
> What about the chemicals: are they easy to find in photo stores?
> There is an interesting phenomenon that will happen, of course.  The
> positive image will be inverted left to right...

yes I have done it both for neg film and paper :-)

the chemicals are not hard to come by from any reputable chemical supplier -
it need not be a photochemical supplier.  Sulphuric acid (conc) is fun too
and a lot heavier than you'd expect (great at parties - 'guess the weight?'
;-)

Andy adds:
You could make the photograph looking into a mirror in the first place ...
(you'd still have to deal with upside down)

Actually, this is what Steve and I were toying with in a variation of a
giant camera we are planning.  For film the camera will be fine, but the
idea for paper was to flip the camera on it's back and attach a light tight
box to the top with a front surface mirror inside between the lens and the
paper to flip the image.  A darkslide would rest over the paper (which will
be a lot easier to control while lying flat!) with a small CCD camera built
in to look down on the image formed when the lens opens for framing - a
small TV screen externally would allow composition, once the lens is closed
the darkslide could be removed for the exposure.  Another addition we may
add for a giggle would be shutter priority AE.. if I'm feeling really
idiotic, I may add AF!

<giggle>  Imagine a point and shoot 40x50cm AE AF camera!

karl