RE: "Magical thinking"

Think the colour transmitted is the remainder after the attenuation of the
other colours.

Hence if a liqid absorbs red and blue light it looks green to tranmotted
light.  If it absorbes green light it looks magenta to transmitted light.

The absorbtion process is where electrons in the molecule or transision
metal that is present is promoted to a higher level ans only accepts photons
of the correct frequency. Compounds with conjugated dienes (-C=C-C=-C=C-...)
have a band over the which they absorb light.

The promoted electron will usually fall back and re-emit another photon at
the same frequency but it will be in all directions so the intensity in the
bean direction is reduced.

In some cases the electron drops to a midway level with the emmission of a
photon of lower frequency (longer wavelength) and stay there for a while.
Over a period of time (the half-life of the state) half the electrons will
drop from this midway level to the ground state and emit another low energy
photon.  This is called flourescence, where the half life is long (several
hours) then the object will glow for a long period.

Phosorescence is where slow burning causes a glow without heat. Chemical
luminescens is where a chemical change leaves molecules in a high energy
state which decays with the emmission of a photon or photons.

Please excuse my spelling.

Chris
http://www.chris-image.co.uk
http://www.chrisscrazyideas.co.uk