Re: "Magical thinking"

Greg 'Giggles' Fraser (can we call you Giggles?) writes:
> 1. I believe I read somewhere that transparent but colored objects appear
> be the color they are because photons of light strike their atoms and
excite
> the electrons which then emit energy as they drop back down to their
natural
> state and the frequency of this energy dictates the color that we see.
(more
> or less. I know the human eye and mind as well as the atmospher do
influence
> our perception.) Did I understand this correctly?

that's pretty much the way I understand it, but there is also the state of
interference to confuse the issue, such as when looking at gold (thin or in
solution) - yellow by reflected light and blue by transmitted from memory
... I don't see much of this stuff anymore ;-)  you see the same with
dichroic filters .

> I believe I just solved question 2 myself. It took so long to type out and
> to word clearly that I figured it out just by concentrating on it.

Marvelous!

>I have
> wondered for a long time why when crystals form (say in a geode) they form
> somewhat random mass (like snow)

which are tny crystals

>out of which shafts grow. I didn't know how
> the crystal knew to change their growth pattern from the snow shape to
shaft
> shape. What I think happens is the crystals form all around the interior
of
> the geode simultaneously and grow until they hit another crystal. This
forms
> the random snow but some of the crystals do not hit others and therefore
> continue to grow in the shaft shape.

This might well be a question for a mineralogy group but I may be wrong.  I
did some electromicroscophy pics once of some teeny weeny crystals and they
looked just like a big crystal only smaller - I think the arrangement of the
bonds pretty much determines how each molecule of a crystal is laid down,
they just slot into one another in a neat patern - asbestos is an odd one
though and I could never get my head around how it does what it does and why
it arranges to form a little tubule.  back to the geodes - I guess as each
dissolved molecule seeps through the porous rock into the pocket, the first
seed crystal is laid down and it procedes from there - each following
disolved salt will be attracted to the crystal and the bonding process
continues.  I guess I really should watch a crystal grow one day..

> Well anyway, what about the question 1? Ever heard of that theory before?

no.  sounds like witchcraft..

karl