Gallery Impressions for 17 July 2002

Here are my bitter, ignored again on fathers day impressions of the images
as seen at http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

jIMMY Harris (Western CANADA with a Flare) - Well jIMMY I admire the respect
you have given THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD so its hard for me to find
fault with your image except to say that she looks a tad blue and I suspect
that lovely flare may have something to do with it. I've never been out west
so as far as I know that's the way things look out there. This looks like a
very difficult shot what with the sun in the lens and the high contrast
subject. Sometimes you just have to get up earlier when the sun is kinder.

Mark Harris (NYPD Cop and Skater) - Now to prove you're over your fear take
your 8x10 view camera and set that up on the street. No avoiding
confrontation there. Besides, having that dark cloth over your head really
helps out the muggers. I like the amount of DOF. It separates the cop and
blader a bit but not so much that they are out of context. The crooked
horizon is bothering me. BTW I cannot shoot strangers myself but then they
rarely form my kind of images anyway so it works out well.

Richard Cooper (US Coast Guard Port of Rochester, NY 6-02) - This image has
me pondering. Don't they have paint money in their budget or are they just
coming back from a drug boat sinking exercises? Are these guys stuck on a
sand bar? Most of all I want to know why you chose to chop off the bow of
the boat and the antennae? I'm not sure I understand this image.

Christopher Strevens, LRPS (Cafe on Road) - Never heard Micky D's referred
to as a cafe. Perhaps this is tongue in cheek. For some reason this reminds
me of the Burger King shots that appeared a while back yet this shot is more
than that. The light post represents the lance of Don Quixote struggling in
vain to topple the untopplable, relentless windmill called McDonalds.

Roderick Chen - Awesome subject and what really impresses me is the way you
took that basically blue and white scene and ran the yellow safety line
perfectly straight down the frame. A line of man-made order in a chaotic and
dynamic environment. Very nice touch and I would imagine it takes quite a
bit of concentration to climb up there and then set up a shot. I would just
be waving the camera around firing the trigger and panting 'work it' before
passing out. So where was this taken? Is this the majesty of CANADA or
Tibet?

King/Arthur (Nightpatrol (South End, Boston)) - This is funky. The image is
bringing back vague memories of playing with plastic army men although they
are a different shade of green. This does look like the night scope I wasn't
supposed to use on the ship when I was on lookout in the navy. I suppose its
the bright yet monochromatic effect that I like. That's not really a night
scope shot though is it?

Guy Glorieux (Mannequin) - The shadow area at the bottom makes me want to
see this as a positive but the rest of it I like just as it is. I like the
way the image is balanced and the geometric progression from the round
mirror on the left, the half dome of the mannequin's head and her squarely
posed arm and the square windows. It looks more exotic in this print than it
does in my positive version in my imagination. Very neat.

Jose Luis Vasconcellos (Self portrait without a tip) - Beautiful, dramatic
lighting and a really, really interesting pose. The pain on your face seems
far greater than what I would expect from losing a tip. I'm definitely not a
portrait photographer and quite often I don't get much from portraits but
this one I really like. The emotion seems very genuine to me. Very nice
work.