Re: Gallery Impressions for 17 July 2002

> Roderick Chen - Awesome subject and what really impresses me is the way you
> took that basically blue and white scene and ran the yellow safety line
> perfectly straight down the frame. A line of man-made order in a chaotic and
> dynamic environment. Very nice touch and I would imagine it takes quite a
> bit of concentration to climb up there and then set up a shot. I would just
> be waving the camera around firing the trigger and panting 'work it' before
> passing out. So where was this taken? Is this the majesty of CANADA or
> Tibet?

Hi Greg,

Just to let you know I was panting when I took this image. We were doing a
route in Diavolezza, Switzerland and had just finished climbing up a long,
thin and steep cornice of snow and ice. On one side was a steep, rocky cliff
and the other was a large snow crevasse. I was so happy to make it up
without an incident that I had to snap a picture. We were only two thirds of
the way up.

Little did I know going down the same cornice would be much more difficult.
Even though we started the trek at 4:30 in the morning in freezing
temperatures our return from the summit was met with a lot of heat. The snow
and ice was turning into slush and our footholds were becoming a lot less
stable. Also the rocks that would be normally frozen together with ice start
to loosen and come apart.

Further down the mountain we had to avoid a rock avalanche. It is unnerving
because you all hear a deep, rumbling sounds that echoes through the valley,
long before you see any rocks tumbling. It is no fun running, totally
exhausted, tied together like a necklace and trying to avoid snagging or
puncturing your legs with your crampons. All the while, watching huge
boulders tumble past.

What we will do for a few pics!

Thanks for the review,

Regards,