Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas

Jan Wieck wrote:

On 10/17/2005 10:16 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

Jan Wieck <JanWieck@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

What is bad about leaving pg_catalog all lower case and expect everyone to query the catalog quoted?

The fact that it will break every nontrivial client currently in
existence.  Those quotes aren't there in the clients and we can't
suddenly mandate them to become there.  Also, that approach does not
work for built-in functions (MAX, etc)

Ugh ... got me on the MAX part.

For built-in functions and aggregates, I see no option other than having duplicate entries in the catalogs. I.e. have an aggregate called "max" and a duplicate aggregate called "MAX" (nobody has explained to me why this is a bad idea aside from the single point of truth concerns).

The rest can be solved with clever uses of views :-) Furthermore the creation of these views should be easily automated. I am willing to write a tool to automate this.