Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas

At 11:43 AM 10/15/2005 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Seems to me we'd be better off creating an option
> "lowercase_quoted_anyway" which solves everything, at the expense of
> being even less compliant.

I think that'll be a good option to have.

paying attention to is from people who say "this application expects the
standard-mandated behavior, why aren't you following the standard?"

Because sometimes too many people don't follow the official standard. And sometimes the standard sucks ;).

It have been normal to have everything in upper case decades ago, but nowadays the new norm appears to be everything in lower case (ever seen what kids nowadays type/txt out?).

Not saying that's right, but I find everything in lower case easier to read than everything in upper case.

Although ... it's true that there seem to be very few apps relying on
case sensitivity per se, ie, expecting "Foo" and "foo" to be different.
The complaints that I can remember were about programs that expected
"FOO" and FOO (not quoted) to be the same.  So always-smash-to-lower-
case might indeed solve most of the real-world problem for the Oracle
camp as well.

Comments anyone?

If it's an option and doesn't cost very much I'm for it.

It must be a very small subset who rely on "Foo" and "foo" to be different AND also rely on "FOO" and FOO to be the same. Wonder what's the term for the even smaller subset who intentionally would want that.

Link.

      match