Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas

Chris Travers <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> So basically, the problem is that any fix for case folding would touch a
> fair bit of code and possibly cause other problems.  However, I haven't
> seen anyone worry about performance issues in such a fix, just that it
> might be a fair bit of work.

More that it's likely to create serious forwards, backwards, and
sideways compatibility problems :-(.  The work involved is mostly
in figuring out how to deal with that.

Since the end reward for all this work would be having to read CATALOGS
WRITTEN IN ALL UPPER CASE, none of the key developers seem very
interested ...

			regards, tom lane

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster