Re: Big Performance drop of Exceptions in UDFs between V11.2 and 13.4

On 8/31/21 11:37 AM, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 10:51 PM ldh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <ldh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> OK... I thought that track had been abandoned as per Julien's last message. Anyways, I'll be patient!
>>
> I just happened to have both standard installer and locally compiled
> versions available, so I could confirm that I reproduced the problem
> at least with the standard installer.  Note that my message also said
> " if default build on windows has NLS included".  After looking a bit
> more into the Windows build system, I confirm that NLS isn't included
> by default so this is not the problem, as Andrew said.
>
> After installing gettext and a few other dependencies, adapting
> config.pl I wish I could also confirm being able to reproduce the
> problem on my build, but apparently I'm missing something as I can't
> get any modification in config.pl have any effect.  I'm not gonna
> waste more time on that since Andrew is already in the middle of the
> investigation.

The culprit turns out to be the precise version of libiconv/libintl
used. There is a slight difference between the versions used in the
11.13 installer and the 13.4 installer. We need to dig into performance
more (e.g. why does the test take much longer on an NLS enabled build
even when we are using 'initdb --no-locale'?) But I'm pretty confident
now that this is the issue. I've started talks with our installer guys
about fixing it.

cheers

andrew

--