Re: GlobalProtect connection loss

On 2020-04-20 at 14:04, The Wanderer wrote:

> On 2020-04-20 at 13:34, Daniel Lenski wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 3:57 PM The Wanderer
>> <wanderer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> The result of this, from about 3.3 hours' worth, is attached -
>>> again trimmed to head (ending a reasonable distance after the
>>> tunnel starts normal operation) and tail (starting a reasonable
>>> distance before the rekey, ending with EOF), compressed, and
>>> obfuscated probably more than is necessary.
>>
>> Everything in this log looks perfectly 100% fine. You connect, you
>> get a 180 minute rekey interval, 179 minutes later OpenConnect
>> does a rekey, it reconnects to ESP… everything works fine. Matches
>> my own testing with versions ranging from pre-v8.0 to v8.08.
>
> Yep - this result, with 8.05, is perfectly 100% fine.
>
>>> If you need me to do the 8.08 equivalent, please let me know as
>>> soon as reasonably practical.
>>
>> I expect it will give the same result.
>
> It did not; it terminated after just over three hours, as before. I
> already sent a mail with the results of that, albeit without any
> commentary on the fact that it terminated after 3 hours (because
> that's the currently expected result when using 8.08, in my
> environment, so I didn't think it needed mentioning).

To clarify the current situation, and the reasons I sent those two logs:

The 8.05 log was sent to demonstrate that the server is not irreparably
broken. Because 8.05 is capable of retaining, recovering,
re-establishing, or in some other way keeping up the connection for well
over the 3-hour period at which 8.08 cuts off, this cannot be entirely
the server's fault; there must be something going on in OpenConnect
here.

The 8.08 log was sent to provide a full, everything-in-one-file,
properly-interleaved log of the disconnect-after-3-hours failure
scenario.

*Something* about the code differences between 8.05 and 8.08 is causing
this. We just need to figure out what. I'm hoping those logs are good
enough to let us do that, or at least enough to let us predict in
advance from the log contents whether the post-rekey disconnect will
later happen - because I really do not want to try to bisect this when
each trial takes over three hours, even if there *don't* happen to be
any "something else is broken" stop-off points in between.

--
   The Wanderer