Re: GlobalProtect connection loss

On 2020-04-20 at 13:34, Daniel Lenski wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 3:57 PM The Wanderer <wanderer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 2020-04-19 at 15:04, The Wanderer wrote:

>>> I've got it running now (using the command from my innermost
>>> non-routing-script script, verbatim except for omitting
>>> --passwd-on-stdin and recombining it back onto one line, with
>>> that redirection modification added). I'll go grocery shopping
>>> pretty soon, and close the session and report results before the
>>> end of the night. The every-30-seconds ping keepalive to a
>>> machine across the VPN is running alongside it.
>>>
>>> This is with 8.05, by the way - the version from the most recent
>>> set of logs, which so far has not seen the connection drop like
>>> this. I can run a similar check (most likely overnight tonight)
>>> with 8.08, if desired.
>>
>> The result of this, from about 3.3 hours' worth, is attached -
>> again trimmed to head (ending a reasonable distance after the
>> tunnel starts normal operation) and tail (starting a reasonable
>> distance before the rekey, ending with EOF), compressed, and
>> obfuscated probably more than is necessary.
>
> Everything in this log looks perfectly 100% fine. You connect, you
> get a 180 minute rekey interval, 179 minutes later OpenConnect does
> a rekey, it reconnects to ESP… everything works fine. Matches my own
> testing with versions ranging from pre-v8.0 to v8.08.

Yep - this result, with 8.05, is perfectly 100% fine.

>> If you need me to do the 8.08 equivalent, please let me know as
>> soon as reasonably practical.
>
> I expect it will give the same result.

It did not; it terminated after just over three hours, as before. I
already sent a mail with the results of that, albeit without any
commentary on the fact that it terminated after 3 hours (because that's
the currently expected result when using 8.08, in my environment, so I
didn't think it needed mentioning).

I'm currently doing another day live-connected with 8.08, although
without the verbose logging this time. If nothing is found as a
resolution for this, I'm probably going to need to downgrade to 8.05
semi-permanently.

>> I've discovered one reason to keep using a wrapper script for
>> calling openconnect. When I exited with Ctrl+C (which as I
>> understand matters should be producing SIGINT), which in the past
>> has apparently killed the wrapper script and led openconnect to
>> exit cleanly, this time it apparently terminated openconnect where
>> it sat - with the result that my original /etc/resolv.conf,
>> adjusted by the Debian-shipped vpnc routing script, was left in its
>> tunnel-up state.
>
> Sending SIGINT (Ctrl-C) or SIGTERM to OpenConnect *is* the correct
> way to close it cleanly. When OpenConnect receives SIGINT or SIGTERM,
> it runs the vpnc-script with reason=disconnect, sends a logout to the
> VPN server, and closes the tunnel. This has been the case since v8.0.
> Prior to v8.0, SIGINT behaved more like SIGHUP: it would run the
> vpnc-script to remove the routes, and would close the tunnel, but
> *would not* send a logout request to the VPN server.
>
> If this isn't working correctly, I'll again conjecture that it's
> because of your wrapper scripts.

I would find that plausible myself, but this only happened when I did
*not* use the wrapper script. When I was using the wrapper script, the
shutdown happened cleanly.

I have no idea what happened in this particular case, and I'm not
currently much concerned about it, as I'm only likely to be launching
this way for testing purposes. I only mentioned it in case there was
something obvious I was missing.

My current best guess (and it's not a very good one) is that somehow
this is because I'm piping the output to tee, and it's tee that's
receiving the SIGINT. That doesn't make a lot of sense given what I've
observed with other programs, but it's all I've managed to think of.

--
   The Wanderer