Re: NNTPC: nntpcache-2.3.2.1-4 for debian and diff against nntpcache 2.3.2.1

On Sun, May 31, 1998 at 03:19:39PM +1200, Alan Brown wrote:

> Suck has a command line switch for retrieving by article number
> rather than Message-ID.
>
> If I catch people retrieving by Message-ID rather than article
> number, they usually get LARTed and told to use article numbers.

A bit harsh?

Getting a message via Message-ID is allowed and can be very useful, its the
only thing that approaches a global identifying for messages that people who
use different news feed can use as a common reference.

> Retrieving by Message-ID causes nnrpd processes to get "very big, very
> quickly" on INN systems as it forces the entire history database to be
> loaded after around 20 retrievals. It does much the same to nntpcache from
> what I've seen, though it hasn't happened here for about a year.

More an artifact of the fact the news has gotten very very big and the net
has gotten very very clue-less........ (exercise for the reader, prove that
the limit of 'sum(Niq)/N approaches zero' where sum(Niq) is the sum of the
IQs of all net users and N is the total net population).

-Chris