Re: NNTPC: nntpcache-2.3.2.1-4 for debian and diff against nntpcache 2.3.2.1

On Sat, 30 May 1998, Herbert Xu wrote:

> 	I've just added an option for turning off the behaviour of searching
> the current server first when answering getbyid article/head/stat/body
> requests.  I wanted this because sites using suck will use these a lot and
> they usually end up getting groups that we get via our innd server twice.
> I'm not sure if my hack handles expired articles properly.  Please check.

Suck has a command line switch for retrieving by article number
rather than Message-ID.

If I catch people retrieving by Message-ID rather than article
number, they usually get LARTed and told to use article numbers.

Retrieving by Message-ID causes nnrpd processes to get "very big,
very quickly" on INN systems as it forces the entire history
database to be loaded after around 20 retrievals. It does much the
same to nntpcache from what I've seen, though it hasn't happened
here for about a year.

AB