Re: NNTPC: nntpcache-2.3.2.1-4 for debian and diff against nntpcache 2.3.2.1

On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

> On Sun, May 31, 1998 at 03:19:39PM +1200, Alan Brown wrote:
>
> > Suck has a command line switch for retrieving by article number
> > rather than Message-ID.
> >
> > If I catch people retrieving by Message-ID rather than article
> > number, they usually get LARTed and told to use article numbers.
>
> A bit harsh?
>
> Getting a message via Message-ID is allowed and can be very useful, its the
> only thing that approaches a global identifying for messages that people who
> use different news feed can use as a common reference.

True, but that's no excuse for 20,000 retrievals by message ID,
which is the kind of thing one sees happening.

If you want to get message-IDs in a group on a remote server to see
what's worth retrieving or not, you're better off grabbing Xover
information for the group and using that. It's considerably faster
than hundreds of "header <article-number>" too.

Retieval by message ID is ok for one or two articles, but it
doesn't scale well. Anyone using it as a method of news sucking
deserves to be LARTed for wantonly wasting CPU on the news server.

Apart from the CPU issues, a machine which can't cope with having
the entire history database loaded up will basically be unusable
for all the other readers on it, so message-ID retrieval turns into
a denial of service attack.

AB