Re: would people be willing to spend a few dollars for beginner docs?

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, Carlo Caione wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2010, at 11:48 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>

> >  i was reluctant to post the following since it's definitely going
> > to sound self-serving but it's an idea i've been thinking about
> > for a while.
> >
> >  how many people would be willing to spend, say, 5 dollars for a
> > decently-written online booklet that introduces someone to the
> > field of kernel programming?  as some of you know, i've already
> > written a bunch of columns on the topic, here:
>
> Ok, Probably I'm one of those few guys willing to pay 5 dollars
> to have _update_ and _decently-written online_ material on
> kernel programming.

  that's nice to hear ... not quite so thrilled that you think only a
"few" guys would be willing to support that sort of thing.  doesn't
give a really optimistic feeling about this.

> The problem here is what you can give us that we cannot find
> elsewhere. The answer is, I think, attention.
> What does attention mean? It means (at least) a private line
> (email? forum?) to ask you questions without being scared to
> be considered noobs.
> You could create a personal learning path according to the
> expertises, skills and expectations of the audience (I'm more
> interested in device programming than kernel internals),
> with practical exercises to submit to you, and so on...

  whoa, whoa, whoa ... that's going *way* beyond what i was
suggesting.  i was proposing that i could produce and provide
well-written kernel programming docs online, write new content on a
reasonably regular basis and make sure i kept all of it up to date.
(i would encourage readers to drop me a note and let me know anything
that needed to be updated or corrected.)  in short, i would write and
post, and readers would read and, if they felt like it, donate.

  what you're describing is ridiculously beyond that.  you're talking
about personal attention and answering private emails and designing
learning paths and developing evaluation tests?  and you expect to get
that for five dollars?

  sorry, but that's just not going to happen.  ever.  if the general
impression here is that, for a donation of five bucks, you expect to
get unfettered access to my personal attention, then we have massively
different views of how the world works.

rday