would people be willing to spend a few dollars for beginner docs?

  i was reluctant to post the following since it's definitely going to
sound self-serving but it's an idea i've been thinking about for a
while.

  how many people would be willing to spend, say, 5 dollars for a
decently-written online booklet that introduces someone to the field
of kernel programming?  as some of you know, i've already written a
bunch of columns on the topic, here:

  http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Kernel_newbie_columns

all the feedback i've ever had on those columns has been positive, and
it's always nice to be appreciated, but i've never made a penny off of
any of that, it's been all volunteer work and donating it to the
general public.  and given that i want to keep doing that, i really
have to finally figure out how to make it pay at least a little to
make it worth it.

  if i was seriously ambitious, i might try something like what bob
stayton did with his docbook xsl guide:  http://www.sagehill.net/.
that's a full book, and you can buy the e-version from his web site.
that's a particularly efficient way to sell since there's no middleman
and it's all pretty much pure profit.  (ironically, you can also read
the book online, and if you check the acknowledgements, my name's
there as well.  i do get around. :-)

  i don't have the material for a full book, but i've been told more
than once that i should figure out how to get *some* kind of
compensation for what i could put together and make available.

  one possibility is to collate what i've got now, add some more
material, turn it into a single downloadable document and charge maybe
$5 for it.  in short, it would always be a *sale*.

  but if i do that, the only people reading it would have had to pay
for it, so the other option is to keep all this online and simply add
a paypal button and people would be free to donate whatever they
wanted for my efforts.  hard to say how well that would work since
it's kind of counting on human nature and most people won't pay for
anything when they don't have to.

  so i'm open to suggestions if anyone has any.  again, i realize this
is self-serving but given how much writing i've done over the last
little while, it would be terrific if i could turn all that time into
some money coming back, which would let me write even more.

  suggestions?  do people agree that a decent booklet targeted at
beginning kernel programmers would be worth perhaps $5?  just curious.

rday

p.s.  as i think about it, i'm not sure selling a single downloadable
document would work very well since i would be constantly adding new
material and i wouldn't want to keep treating updates as a new sale or
something, that's just inconvenient.

the easiest approach is certainly the paypal donation button, at which
point i would just have to put my faith in my fellow man.

and woman.