Re: would people be willing to spend a few dollars for beginner docs?

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, Joel Fernandes wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> If you are sure about constantly adding new material etc, then I
> think a good idea would be to turn it into a subscription based
> service at $3 / month or something (too less?), something like LWN.
> I know I would signup for something like that :-)
>
> take care,
> -Joel

  i don't think a subscription model would work here.  first, it's
just more infrastructure to set up to keep track of subscribers.  but,
as you point out, it would only make sense if i could guarantee a
steady stream of new material, and i don't think that's possible.

  LWN can do it since it represents publishing current *news*.  in my
case, i'm not trying to publish news, i'm trying to publish tutorials
and that's not the sort of thing that lends itself well to
regular/daily posting.

  my publishing model would look more like getting all my current docs
online and, over time, publishing new ones as i'm able.  so the web
site would be, for the most part, stable with minor and ongoing fixes
to what's up there, punctuated occasionally by a new chapter/document
or something like that as i continue to write.

  this would seem to fit a paypal-based model where someone who first
visited the site and appreciated the content would donate 5 or 10
bucks.  and if, for any reason, i never published another thing,
what's up there would still have worth that donation.

  and if i *keep* publishing new content, maybe that same person
would, a few months down the road, feel like i deserved another 5 or
10 bucks, and toss it in.  i'd like to *think* that that's how some
folks would look at it but you just never know.

  in any event, i have someone *totally* revamping my current ugly web
site with drupal pre-7, and there will be a Book module, and i plan on
converting most of my content to Publican (docbook/xml) format, and i
think that, for the sake of simplicity, i'll start with purely
voluntary paypal donations and see how it works.  and if can generate
a steady income from that, i'll just leave it like that.

  anyway, i'll post again when the new site is up and invite people to
drop by.  and, again, i apologize for the obviously self-serving theme
of these posts but given now much time i've invested in writing
tutorials and giving them away, it would be nice to finally get
something back for it that would give me the freedom to keep doing it.

  besides, where are you going to get that kind of enlightenment for
ten bucks nowadays?

rday