Re: Google Summer of Code 2010 / Lunatik

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 3:58 PM, Gergely Buday <gbuday@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Lourival,
>
> you wrote:
>
>> I'm currently writing a paper about that. I have no other
>> documentation ready. But, you can ask what you want to know.
>
> I'd love to read that one. Please send a mail to me / to the list when ready.

Course, I'll let you know =).

>>> And, what linux kernel documentation you have read to write this code?
>>
>> I read a lot of code and documentation. Why =)?
>
> I'm interested how it works. Kernel code is huge, I would be
> interested only in the parts you had to read.

As far as I pretend to build a framework to extend much of kernel as
possible with Lua scripts, I had to read documentation of different
parts of the kernel. But, to understand Lunatik's core you don't have
to study the entire kernel. I recommend that you take a overview of
the kernel's organization and specially study workqueues and system
calls to understand the load and execution mechanisms.To understand
the Lua port to kernel you will need to study some particularities
about what you have and what you haven't of C standard library inside
the kernel and, of course, how the Lua C API works.

I suggest that you take a look in these great references:

[1] Linux Kernel 2.6 Documentation -
http://www.dcs.fmph.uniba.sk/diplomovky/obhajene/getfile.php/dipl.pdf?id=55&fid=100&type=application%2Fpdf

[2] Linux Kernel Development (2nd Edition) (Novell Press) -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0672327201?ie=UTF8&tag=roblov-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0672327201

[3] Programming in Lua, Second Edition -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/8590379825?tag=ieru-pil2-20

I believe that in the paper that I told before, will be much clearer
how Lunatik works. Nevertheless, until it be done, be my guest to ask
your questions.

> Thanks for your prompt reply,

You are welcome!

> Cheers