Re: Google Summer of Code 2010 / Lunatik

Hi Mulyadi,

> What a nice project you have.....thumbs up! :)

Thank you, I'm very excited about this project! =)

> Anyway. you may find this URL interesting for dynamic scheduling
> reading http://kerneltrap.org/taxonomy/term/607

It is very interesting, thank you for sharing.

> Here's my not so smart opinion:
>
> What you are going to do, is actually something that has been tried
> several times on different projects (once I remember one, other than
> plugsched, but I can't recall that for now). But I think the real
> challenge that you have think first is: how can I make the framework
> does the scheduling decision fast enough? If it is not fast, than
> scheduling itself will be the one of the source of the latency.

IMHO, the only way to we be sure about the fastness of the framework
is trying it.

> In cpufreq, IMHO this is not so critical because you don't
> neccessarily need to check the current cpu load and adjust the C and P
> state everytime. On the contrary, assuming you're using 1000 HZ, the
> scheduler could be forced to check the time slice expiration every 1
> ms and act accordingly. Plus, please CMIIW, Lua is an scripting
> language, which means it must be intepreted first before it can be
> executed, thus theoritically it is slower than pure binary code.

You are not entirely correct. Lua script is compiled (into bytecode)
just once, when it is loaded. Then, this bytecode can be executed by
the Lua VM.

Nevertheless, here you are correct: "theoretically it is slower than
pure binary code". Lua programs are slower than C programs, as far as
C programs are slower than pure ASM programs.

> All in all, I suggest you do some testing first, but see the outcome.
> At least you try....

Sure, I'll do that. But, as long as pluggable scheduler is a polemic
topic in Linux, do you think that would worth? And do you think that
would worth a application to GSoC?

Cheers,
--
Lourival Vieira Neto