Re: Kernel logging

> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 3:59 AM, Joel Fernandes <agnel.joel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> My question is, Is there a better way (better than logging) of
>> tracking operations internal to the kernel continuously over long
>> period of time in a way that doesn't affect latency (very
>> drastically)?
>
> Maybe you also need to check Linux Trace Toolkit Next Generation
> (ltt-ng). It's actually a tracing toolkit that delivers low latency
> tracing (according to the its website). Once it uses relayfs, but not
> sure what it uses today

Thanks. will check it out, it seems its faster than systemtap and
supports very large datasets. :) nice

> Anyway, do you need to track certain events and records i.e timestamp
> for quite long time e.g 1 week or more? That's really massive IMO. You
> really a fast logging and fast data transfer between kernel and user
> space and very fast data writer too.

Actually I will be dumping a few data structures over a long period of
time. I just did that with ftrace and it didn't have much of an
overhead. But yeah, the corruptions I've seen occur at over a 5 day
period of regular use so its quite difficult.

Thanks!
Joel